Thursday, June 01, 2006

Is he my father?


While having an apostolate last Saturday, I was busy with the kids in teaching ABC and helping them color a page. I was so spontaneous being with them yet at the corner of my eyes, i spotted this two-year old girl staring at me then i heard her asking her mother, " Sya ba ang tatay ko? bait nya sa amin" I didnt know what to say to her except that i reflected and asked myself what made this child ask her mother like that. After a while, I asked the mother where is her husband and i learned that he is imprisoned for drug pushing then she defended him that it was a set up. I shrugged my shoulders believing my bias that he was. Looking back at the child, i felt pity and comapssion for nearly two years now, her father is still in prison and will spend eight years more to complete the ten years sentence for him.

How can this child live without a father who will teach her to write her name? who will look after her? I was moved into contemplation that what I was doing was supposed to be done by a loving parent. Yes, i am not her father but the moving Spirit gives us life to see everything even in the eyes of a child.

1 comment: